Monday, May 12, 2008

Testopia at JavaOne?

So I just returned from a lovely week in San Francisco attending JavaOne. Why would a Perl guy go to a Java conference? Good question, but I learned a lot and can't wait to play with Groovy and Grails. I also picked up some great tips on increasing performance for Ajax apps (of which Testopia is one).

As you may have guessed, I wasn't really able to do much work on Testopia during the last week and I see there is now a Bugzilla 3.0.4 that needs to be tested. I have seen one report already that the patch does not work.

Joy! :(

One of the more interesting sessions I attended was entitled, "How to destroy your community in 10 easy steps." It was rather amusing but I learned that silence is the biggest killer. I am rather disorganized and tend to ignore email when things go crunch. Though I attempt to keep on top of the various channels of communication, often I find it gets pushed to the back burner more than it should. Before I know it, I may have gone a week or more without checking my email, or my blog. I am more available in IRC but may be too busy to answer at times. I honestly wonder how Linus keeps up with it all. Testopia is my day job, and though I love it immensely, I have never been the type to devote all my time to a single thing. When I go home, I prefer to play or work on other things. Maybe that is not what makes a good FOSS developer, I don't know. I guess the bottom line is, I will continue to develop Testopia whether anyone outside Novell finds it useful or not.

I am going to try to be better at responding more quickly to questions and bugs from now on.

7 comments:

peaboy said...

I'm loving Testopia.... Keep up the good work!!

David said...

Greg. When do you think you will be able to look into Bugzilla 3.0.4 and Testopia 2.0 RC1 integration. I just tried to install it and it does not work. Thank you.

Greg Hendricks said...

I'm kind of swamped catching up on a week's worth of work. I want to take a loot at it by the end of the week though.

Greg Hendricks said...

Ok, I was able to apply the patch-3.0.x to 3.0.4 and have it work just fine. This was on openSuSE 10.3 running apache. If it is not working for you, please comment in bug 432399

David said...

I was able to apply the patch also. I will let you know if I see any issues. Thanks for your help.

Mike said...

Greg, we are running Bugzilla 2.22.3 and Testopia 1.2.2.

Bugzilla is working fine for many years and there is no real need to upgrade to 3.0.

We have not been very succesfull with Testopia, too many issues that made us decide to put the Testopia roll-out on hold. Too much time spent on debugging it, troubleshooting, configuration.

We won't be able (or allowed) to spend more time on testing 2.0RC1 and we decided to wait for a stable 2.0 release. Any idea when to expect that one? Mike

Greg Hendricks said...

2.0 official release is well in the making. My biggest desire is to make sure it is properly tested. We are working on a new set of test scripts which I plan to release along with a test database that can be used for playing around with Testopia and testing. So short answer, don't know yet. Should be in the next few weeks.